All About Needs: Ava's Newest Module
What is Ava by Social Cipher?
Ava is an evidence-based social-emotional learning (SEL) video game series and SEL curriculum designed specifically for neurodivergent youth ages 10-15. Players play the role of Ava, an autistic star mapper on a mission to explore distant galaxies. Ava gives players a safe place to learn and practice SEL skills that they can apply in the real world.
What is the Needs module about?
In the Needs module, players go on a mission to build a new town. Along the way, they’ll face challenges that allow them to explore SEL topics such as:
- How to identify and address needs
- How to manage conflicting needs
- How to advocate for themselves
- How to empathize with others
- How to cope under pressure
How will the Needs module benefit neurodivergent youth?
Gaming has many benefits for neurodivergent youth. By merging SEL and gaming, players can learn and practice valuable SEL skills in a safe, fun environment that they can apply in the real world. Each Ava module is research-based and designed to support common IEP goals .
Aside from keeping students engaged and promoting literacy through dialogue, the Needs module was designed to:
- Improve student behavior by teaching emotional regulation and coping strategies
- Strengthen problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Promote self-advocacy
- Foster self-awareness
How to use Ava
Whether you’re implementing Ava in a one-on-one, small group, or whole class setting, you can tailor Ava to fit your organization’s budget and needs. Private practices, therapy centers, and school districts use Ava as a:
- Reward or early finisher activity
- Supplement to existing SEL curriculum
- Part of a Multi-Tiered System of Supports (MTSS) model
- Cool-down tool for students to play during a shutdown or sensory overload
- Collaborative tool where students and facilitators work through the game and curriculum together
The Quest One of the Needs module launches on September 1, 2023, but you can get started with Ava today! Our Trying New Things and Trust modules have already been played by kids in 150+ schools and therapy centers!
Schedule a chat with us to explore the different ways Ava can meet your organization’s needs.